Powered by WebRing.

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Starting out

I suppose it would make sense to begin by explaining how I got to where I am now with this project and what the objectives are.

I bought my Series III a few years ago from a chap in Mablethorpe, after I'd thought about getting one for ages. I wanted a long wheelbase with LPG, not bothered if it was a County model or not and not too fussed about condition. Anyway, I saw this one advertised in one of the Landy mags, went to see it and bought it - I know you should never buy the first one you see but it was just what I was looking for, and anyway I wanted it so that was it really. The chap I bought it from had got it from Jake Wrights who had got it in the ex-military disposal sales, he got them to fit the LPG kit, put new tyres on it and MOT it - nothing else needed doing.

When he got it home he spent the next 18 months scraping the chassis, replacing the rear quarter chassis, waxoyling everything and fitting a hard top in place of the canvas - then he got bored and sold it to me.

Once I got it there were a number of things needed sorting, the carburettor was shot and a couple of wheel cylinders needed replacing - apart from that I was able to run it as my daily vehicle no problem.

Of course it came in for a regular dose of abuse, I joined the Series 3 and 90/110 club and was soon off with them around the place as well as a few off-road days here and there - and it stood up to it all really well. There were a couple of minor issues of course, I lost it going down a steep decent and ended up crashing into the trees at the bottom and having to be winched out by a friendly 90 - and broke my clutch slave cylinder on the trip back from a Northern Landrover run.

Then the LPG system gave up the ghost, a solenoid went and Jake Wrights didn't supply that system any longer, no spares anywhere so it was back to petrol only (I have a new solenoid now, off ebay of course and it's in my plan for replacement).

Then the heater packed in so it was impossible to use in the winter as we get freezing fog here and the windscreen just ices over - and I can't get the damn thing working, again it's in the plan !!

Finally I bust a seal in one of the half shafts on an off-road trip and got oil in the brakes etc. - limped home 80 miles and stuck it on the drive, it's been there for the last 18 months while I decided what to do.

And this is where we are now, about to begin restoration. How much is required I've no idea. Will I finish it ? - I hope so because I need to use it again. How long will it take ? - no idea. How much will it cost - ???.

So who is in on this project ?

1. Me
2. Abbey, my 13 year old daughter
3. Martin, my friend from round the corner
4. When I'm stuck - Steve Ducker from CLASP in Scunthorpe, Land Rover engineer from up the street
5. Anyone else I can rope in when needed - if your reading this and fancy helping out drop me a line !!

Next post - what are we going to do first !!

No comments: